Why Dog Keeps Swallowing? – What Are The Causes?

Like many other animals, dogs have a natural instinct to explore their surroundings with their mouths. This behavior is known as mouthing or chewing. It is common among canines especially puppies. However, why dog keeps swallowing objects, it can cause concern.

There are several reasons why a dog may engage in swallowing behavior. One of the most common reasons is curiosity. Dogs naturally tend to be curious and often use their mouths to explore their surroundings. However, this can sometimes result in them unintentionally swallowing things not meant to be consumed.

They are known for their curious nature and sometimes engaging in behaviors that may seem strange to us humans. One such behavior is swallowing objects or non-edible items. In this document, we will explore the reasons why dog keeps swallowing.

Why Dog Keeps Swallowing

Causes Of Licking And Swallowing In Dogs

Causes Of Licking And Swallowing In Dogs

Licking and swallowing are common behaviors dogs exhibit. Excessive or compulsive licking and swallowing can indicate underlying health issues. Understanding the causes behind these behaviors is crucial to provide appropriate care and treatment for our furry friends. Here are some possible causes of licking and swallowing in dogs.



Dogs can develop allergies to different substances. These substances are certain foods, environmental allergens, and materials like plastic or rubber. Allergic reactions can cause itching and discomfort. It leads to excessive licking and swallowing as dogs try to alleviate their symptoms.

Dental Problems

A dog’s gums, teeth, or oral infections may cause pain and discomfort due to dental issues. In response, they may excessively lick their paws, lips, or other parts of their bodies. They swallow frequently due to the discomfort caused by their dental problems.

Gastrointestinal Issues

Dogs also have some gastrointestinal problems such as acid reflux, gastritis, or inflammatory bowel disease. They may lick their lips excessively and swallow frequently. As a result of these behaviors, they may be attempting to relieve discomfort or soothe their irritated digestive system.

Stress And Anxiety

Stress And Anxiety

Dogs can experience stress and anxiety-like humans. When anxious or stressed, dogs may engage in repetitive behaviors such as licking and swallowing. This can be a coping mechanism or a way for them to self-soothe.

Pain Or Discomfort

Pain Or Discomfort

During times of pain or discomfort, dogs may lick or swallow excessively. This can be due to injuries, arthritis, or other underlying health conditions. Identifying the source of pain or discomfort. As a pet owner, we should seek appropriate veterinary care.

Behavioral Issues

In some cases, excessive licking and swallowing can be behavioral issues. Dogs may develop compulsive behaviors, known as obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). It can manifest as excessive licking or swallowing. This requires professional evaluation and treatment by a veterinarian or animal behaviorist.

Medical Issues

In some cases, dogs may swallow objects due to medical issues such as gastrointestinal problems or dental pain. Dogs with gastrointestinal issues may swallow objects to relieve discomfort or irritation. Regular veterinary check-ups and good oral hygiene can identify and address medical issues.

Natural Instincts

Some dogs have an instinct to explore their surroundings with their mouths, especially during puppyhood. Similarly, human babies put objects in their mouths to explore them. Proper training and redirecting their attention toward appropriate chew toys can help prevent them from swallowing harmful objects.

Boredom And Lack Of Stimulation

Boredom is common in dogs, especially those left alone for extended periods. Swallowing objects may be their attempt to alleviate boredom or gain attention from their owners. Providing mental and physical stimulation, such as interactive toys or regular exercise can help curb this behavior.


One of the main reasons why dogs swallow non-edible items is a condition called pica. Pica refers to the persistent eating of substances that have no nutritional value. This condition can develop due to various factors, including nutritional deficiencies, boredom, stress, or medical issues. It is essential to address pica promptly to prevent potential harm to the dog’s health.

There may be other causes for excessive licking and swallowing in dogs. If you notice these behaviors in your dog, it is recommended to consult with a veterinarian for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

What To Do If Dogs Keep Swallowing?

What To Do If Dogs Keep Swallowing

If you have a dog that frequently swallows objects, it is important to take immediate action to prevent any potential harm or complications. Swallowing foreign objects can pose serious health risks to dogs. It includes choking, intestinal blockages, and organ damage. Here are some steps you can take if your dog keeps swallowing objects:

Assess The Situation

If you catch your dog in the act of swallowing something, try to determine what it is and whether it poses an immediate danger. The stomach may be able to digest small, smooth objects without harm. However, if it is sharp, large, or toxic, you should immediately seek veterinary assistance.

Monitor Your Dog’s Behavior

Monitor Your Dog's Behavior

Keep a close eye on your dog for any signs of distress or discomfort. Look for symptoms such as coughing, gagging, vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, lethargy, or abdominal pain. These could indicate that the object is causing a blockage or other complications.

Contact Your Veterinarian

If You Suspect Your Dog Has Swallowed Something Potentially Harmful, Contact Your Veterinarian immediately. According to your dog’s specific circumstances, they can provide guidance. Be prepared to provide information such as your dog’s breed, age, weight, and description of the object swallowed.

Follow Your Veterinarian’s Instructions

Your veterinarian may advise you to induce vomiting if the object was recently swallowed and is not sharp or toxic. However, never induce vomiting without consulting a professional. It can be dangerous in certain situations. Your veterinarian may also recommend bringing your dog in for an examination or X-rays to determine the location and severity of the object.

Prevent Future Incidents

To reduce the risk of your dog swallowing objects, creating a safe environment is important. Keep small objects, toxic substances, and anything easily swallowed out of your dog’s reach. Supervise your dog during playtime and avoid giving them toys or small bones to be swallowed.


Understanding the reasons why dog keeps swallowing is essential for their well-being. Whether it’s due to pica, boredom, anxiety, instincts, or underlying medical issues, addressing. These factors can help prevent potential harm to dogs. We can ensure our furry companions lead happy and healthy lives by taking preventive measures.

It provides mental and physical stimulation, and seeking professional advice. Regular veterinary check-ups and providing appropriate toys and stimuli can help minimize the risk of swallowing incidents. It ensure the well-being of our canine companions.

Frequently Asked Questions

What Are The Signs That A Dog Has Swallowed An Object?

Signs that a dog has swallowed an object may include coughing, gagging, choking, difficulty breathing, excessive drooling, vomiting, loss of appetite, abdominal pain or distention, constipation, diarrhea, and changes in behavior. If you notice any of these signs, it is important to consult with a veterinarian as soon as possible.

What Should I Do If My Dog Swallows An Object?

If your dog has swallowed an object, do not panic. First, assess the situation and try to determine the size and type of object they have swallowed. Contact your veterinarian immediately for guidance. They may advise you to monitor your dog closely for any signs of distress. In some cases, intervention may be necessary to remove the object safely.

Can Dogs Pass Swallowed Objects Naturally?

In some cases, dogs may be able to pass swallowed objects naturally through their digestive system. However, this depends on the size and type of object. Sharp or large objects may cause obstruction or injuries, making it necessary for veterinary intervention. It’s always best to consult with a veterinarian to determine the problems.

Micheal L. Garcia

Hi, I’m Micheal L. Garcia Dog Lover & Freelance Photographer. I was born in New York In 1991. I was probably 8 years old, playing in the back yard of our house in my Village, and in a few distances, I Found a Labrador puppy just playing. A few times later, When the puppy saw me, He just came to me & started playing Form when I started to love dogs. Now I have 3 dogs. After a certain period later, I have a question: Why don’t I start a blog? Then I start my blog Thinkersvine.com, And My moto is the impactful helper of your dogs.

Recent Posts