Royal Canin Urinary SO is a popular pet food brand specifically formulated to support urinary health in cats and dogs. However, several options are available if you are looking for alternatives to Royal Canin Urinary SO.
The veterinary-recommended solution for pets with urinary tract problems is often Royal Canin’s Urinary SO formula. This specialized diet is designed to help manage and prevent urinary tract issues in cats and dogs. However, for some pet owners, the high cost of Royal Canin Urinary SO may be prohibitive, or their pet may not tolerate the ingredients.
Here, we will discuss six of the best Royal Canin Urinary SO alternatives dog food. We have reviewed each alternative and provided all the information you need to make an informed decision for your pet’s health. So sit back, relax, and read on to learn more about these great options for your furry friend.
Quick View Of Royal Canin Urinary So Dog Food Alternatives
- Best for supporting urinary tract health in dogs – Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets UR Urinary Ox/St Dry Dog Food
- Best for urinary health and hairball control – Hill’s Prescription Diet c/d Multicare Urinary Care Dog Food
- Best for dogs requiring weight management and urinary care – BLUE Natural Veterinary Diet W+U Weight Management
- Best for dogs’ kidney issues or low phosphorus diet – SquarePet VFS Low Phosphorus Formula Dry Dog Food
- Best for dog sensitivities or allergies to certain ingredients – Firstmate Limited Ingredient Australian Lamb Meal Formula
- Best for adult dogs with food sensitivities or allergies – Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Adult Selected Protein PW Moderate Calorie Dry Dog Food
6 Best Royal Canin Urinary So Alternatives Reviewed
If your dog is suffering from urinary tract problems, then Royal Canin Urinary SO dog food may be recommended by your veterinarian. However, several options are available if you’re looking for alternatives to this specialized formula. One option is Hill’s Prescription Diet c/d Multicare, designed to promote a healthy urinary tract and reduce the risk of future urinary issues.
Another alternative is Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets UR Urinary Ox/St, formulated to dissolve struvite stones and reduce the risk of calcium oxalate stones. Blue Buffalo Natural Veterinary Diet WU Weight Management + Urinary Care is another option that provides urinary tract support and weight management. It’s important to note that switching your dog’s food should be done gradually to avoid digestive upset and to ensure they receive proper nutrition. Below, we provide a full review of Royal Canin Urinary SO Alternatives:
1.Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Ur Urinary Ox/St Dry Dog Food
If your dog has urinary issues, consider Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets UR Urinary Ox/St Dry Dog Food as an alternative to Royal Canin Urinary SO. This vet-prescribed dog food provides balanced nutrition and helps manage bladder stones while maintaining urinary health. It contains essential nutrients that support your dog’s overall well-being. With specific dietary requirements for urinary health, this high-quality alternative meets your dog’s nutritional needs.
- Provides the perfect blend of nutrients your dog needs for urinary ox/st dry food.
- Whole Grain Corn, Brewers Rice, and Chicken By-Product Meal help keep your dog healthy and satisfied.
- Calcium is added to help maintain a healthy urinary tract.
- Balanced nutrition for overall well-being
- Vet-prescribed formula for managing bladder stones
- Specifically formulated for urinary health requirements
- High-quality alternative to Royal Canin Urinary SO
- May be more expensive than other dog food options
2.Hill’s Prescription Diet C/D Multicare Urinary Care Dog Food
Hill’s Prescription Diet c/d Multicare Urinary Care Dog Food is a vet-recommended option for supporting urinary tract health in dogs. This specially formulated dog food helps prevent urinary issues and provides balanced nutrition for overall well-being.
One key benefit of Hill’s Prescription Diet c/d is its ability to dissolve struvite stones, promoting a healthy urinary system. Consider this alternative to Royal Canin Urinary SO if your dog has urinary health concerns. It offers the necessary nutritional support for maintaining a healthy urinary tract. With Hill’s Prescription Diet c/d, you can provide your pup the care they need to manage urinary health efficiently and effectively.
- Keep your dog healthy and happy with Hill’s Prescription Diet c/d Multicare Urinary Care Dog Food.
- This food is specially formulated to meet the needs of dogs with urinary problems.
- This food will keep your pet healthy and fit and features Whole Grain Corn, brewer rice, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Meal, Egg Products, and Pork Liver Fl.
- Reduces the recurrence of urinary stones
- Supports overall health and well-being
- Veterinarian recommended
- Some dogs may not find the taste appealing
3.Blue Natural Veterinary Diet W+U Weight Management + Urinary Care Dry Dog Food
BLUE Natural Veterinary Diet W+U Weight Management + Urinary Care Dry Dog Food is an excellent alternative to Royal Canin Urinary SO. This dry food supports weight management and provides urinary care for your dog. It takes a holistic approach to your dog’s health, offering balanced nutrition with specialized ingredients.
With this alternative, you can give your dog the benefits of a nutritious diet while managing their urinary health. It contains omega fatty acids and essential vitamins like vitamin A, which promote a healthy immune system and maintain healthy skin. By choosing BLUE Natural Veterinary Diet W+U, you can provide your dog with a high-quality substitute for weight management and urinary support.
- BLUE Natural Food is an excellent alternative to Royal Canin Urinary SO.
- Promotes weight management
- This dry food supports weight management and provides urinary care for your dog.
- This food contains natural ingredients and no corn, wheat, soy, or dairy.
- Supports urinary health
- High-quality ingredients
- Veterinarian recommended
- Palatable taste
- This specific dog food may not be readily available in all locations, making it harder to find.
4.Squarepet VFS Low Phosphorus Formula Dry Dog Food
SquarePet VFS is a dry food option for dogs with urinary health concerns. It is formulated as a low phosphorus formula to support kidney function and maintain urinary tract health. This alternative to Royal Canin Urinary SO provides balanced nutrition with high-quality ingredients, including omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat.
SquarePet VFS is suitable for dogs with specific dietary restrictions or sensitivities, offering a nutrient-rich option to address their urinary health needs. By incorporating SquarePet VFS into your dog’s diet, you can ensure they receive the necessary nutrients while minimizing the risk of urinary problems.
- Reduce food costs by feeding your pet with Firstmate’s Australian Lamb Meal Formula.
- This food has only the best ingredients, including lamb meal, Burbank potato, norkotah potato, and chicken fat.
- The caloric content is low, making it an excellent choice for pets who need to watch their weight.
- Supports kidney function and urinary tract health
- Suitable for dogs with dietary restrictions or sensitivities
- Contains omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat
- Provides balanced nutrition while addressing urinary health needs
- May not be widely available in all locations
5.Firstmate Limited Ingredient Australian Lamb Meal Formula
If your dog has allergies or sensitivities, consider Firstmate Limited Ingredient Australian Lamb Meal Formula as a suitable alternative to Royal Canin Urinary SO. This dog food offers a simplified diet with a limited ingredient list, ensuring that your dog’s dietary needs are addressed without compromising nutrition.
Firstmate Limited Ingredient Formula includes essential nutrients that support overall well-being, such as omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat and immune system support. With this alternative, you can provide your dog with a tasty and nutritious option while taking care of their dietary requirements.
- Firstmate Limited Ingredient is a high-quality, affordable, animal-based protein source.
- It is made with only the finest ingredients.
- It is perfect for dogs and cats looking for a portion of healthy, convenient food.
- With its low caloric content and delicious flavour, your pet will love dining on this nutritious meal.
- Suitable alternative for dogs with allergies or sensitivities
- Limited ingredient formula simplifies the diet and addresses dietary needs
- High-quality Australian lamb meal as the primary ingredient
- Grain-free and gluten-free recipes for dogs with grain sensitivities
- Contains essential nutrients for a healthy skin and coat, and immune system support
- Less known or trusted compared to Royal Canin Urinary SO
6.Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Adult Selected Protein Pw Moderate Calorie Dry Dog Food
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Adult Selected Protein PW Moderate Calorie Dry Dog Food is an excellent alternative for dogs requiring a controlled calorie intake without compromising taste. This dog food offers balanced nutrition that supports urinary health and helps manage weight.
It contains a moderate calorie content to ensure your dog maintains a healthy body weight while enjoying their meals. The formula also includes essential nutrients like omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat and vitamins and minerals to support overall well-being.
- Royal Canin Veterinary Dry Dog Food is formulated to provide adult dogs with optimal weight management and muscle support.
- The flavour Original is a great option for dogs who prefer a bland diet.
- This food is ideal for dogs struggling to maintain weight or have problems with muscle mass or skin and coat health.
- Supports weight management
- Promotes digestive health
- High palatability
- May not be suitable for dogs with allergies or sensitivities
How To Transition To New Dog Food
Transitioning your dog to a new dog food can be a delicate process, especially if they have been on Royal Canin Urinary SO. Every dog is different, so monitoring their response during this transition period is important. If you have any concerns or questions, don’t hesitate to contact your veterinarian for guidance and support. Here are some steps to help you smoothly transition your dog to alternative dog food:
- Gradual Transition: Start by mixing small amounts of the new dog food with their current Royal Canin Urinary SO. Begin with a ratio of 75% old food and 25% fresh food. Over 7-10 days, gradually increase the proportion of the new food while decreasing the old food until you reach 100% new food.
- Monitor Your Dog: Keep a close eye on your dog during the transition process. Watch for any signs of digestive upset, such as vomiting or diarrhoea. Slow the transition process or consult your veterinarian if you notice any adverse reactions.
- Stick to Regular Feeding Schedule: Maintain your dog’s feeding schedule throughout the transition. This will help keep their digestion consistent and minimize any potential discomfort.
- Consider Adding Wet Food: If your dog hesitates to switch to dry kibble, add some wet food or mix in water to make it more palatable. This can help entice them to try the new food and ease the transition.
Buying Guide For Royal Canin Urinary So Dog Food Alternatives
When looking for alternatives to Royal Canin Urinary SO, a few factors must be considered to ensure you select the best option for your pet’s urinary health. Remember, every pet is unique, and what works for one may not work for another. Finding the best alternative to Royal Canin Urinary SO for your pet’s needs may take trial and error. Here is a buying guide to help you make an informed decision:
Consult with your veterinarian: Before making any changes to your pet’s diet, it is important to consult with your veterinarian. They can guide your pet’s specific dietary needs and recommend suitable alternatives.
Look for quality ingredients: When choosing an alternative, check the ingredient list for high-quality ingredients that support urinary health. Look for options low in magnesium and phosphorus and contain beneficial ingredients like cranberry extract or D-mannose.
Consider wet or dry food: Both wet and dry food options can be suitable alternatives to Royal Canin Urinary SO. Wet food can provide additional hydration, which is beneficial for urinary health. Dry food, on the other hand, can help maintain dental health. Consider your pet’s preferences and any specific dietary needs when deciding.
Monitor your pet’s response: Once you have chosen an alternative, closely monitor your pet’s response to the new food. Look out for any changes in their urinary habits or overall well-being. If you notice any adverse effects or symptoms worsening, consult your veterinarian.
Several excellent Royal Canin Urinary SO alternatives can help manage urinary health in your furry friend. These alternatives have been carefully reviewed and are known for their effectiveness. When transitioning from Royal Canin Urinary SO to these alternatives, it’s important to do so gradually and under the guidance of your veterinarian.
Start by mixing a small amount of the new food with the old food and gradually increase the proportion over time. This will allow your dog’s digestive system to adjust without any issues. Remember to monitor your dog closely during the transition period for any signs of discomfort or digestive upset. With the right alternative, you can continue to support your dog’s urinary health and provide them with a balanced and nutritious diet.
Frequently Asked Questions
1.What Is The Best Dog Food For Urinary Tract Stones?
Ans: A veterinarian may recommend prescription dog food like Royal Canin Urinary SO for urinary tract stones. However, alternative dog foods such as Hill’s Science Diet can help prevent urinary tract stones, such as Hill’s Science Diet, Blue Buffalo, and Purina Pro Plan. Look for options with lower levels of calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium. Consulting with a vet will ensure the best diet plan for your dog’s needs.
2.What’s The Best Dog Food For Urinary Tract Infections?
Ans: Dog foods formulated for urinary tract health are recommended for dogs with UTIs. Look for options with ingredients like cranberries, pumpkins, and probiotics that support urinary health. Good choices include Hill’s Prescription Diet Urinary Care, Blue Buffalo Natural Veterinary Diet Urinary Care, and Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary SO.
3.What Are The Ingredients In Royal Canin Urinary So Wet?
Ans: The ingredients in Royal Canin Urinary SO wet cat food vary depending on the specific formula. Still, some common ingredients include water sufficient for processing, chicken liver, pork by-products, chicken, corn flour, corn starch, powdered cellulose, natural flavours, fish oil, potassium chloride, calcium sulfate, and various vitamins and minerals.
4.Is Royal Canin Urinary SO Good For Kidney Disease?
Ans: Royal Canin Urinary SO is not specifically designed to treat kidney disease. While it may be prescribed for cats with certain kidney conditions, it’s important to consult a veterinarian to determine the best diet for your cat’s needs. There are alternative diets available that may be better suited for cats with kidney disease.
5.How Much Does An Alternative To Royal Canin Urinary SO Cost, And Is It Worth The Price?
Ans: The cost of alternative options to Royal Canin Urinary SO may vary depending on the brand and type of food. Prices range from less to more expensive than Royal Canin Urinary SO. When comparing prices, it’s important to consider the quality of ingredients and effectiveness in managing urinary issues.